The leadership process at BPS
The current election process at BPS is as follows:
1. Student and Parent information sessions held at separate times
2. Interested Year 5 students nominate.
3. Nominees complete a written application form at school under supervision.
4. Nomination forms are sent home to be endorsed (but not modified) by parents.
5. A panel of executive teachers independently review the applications against the set criteria and shortlist the nominees. The panel is comprised of the Principal, Deputy Principal and a representative from Early Stage l, Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage 3 and support staff.
6. Successful nominees are notified and are then asked to prepare and deliver an election speech at school.
7. Students (Year 3 and above) and teachers vote to elect the 2018 school leaders. All votes are equal. There is no weighting of votes, (ie a staff member's vote is equal to the vote of a student.)
8.Using the Australian preferential voting system, voters are asked to place a number '1' next to their first preference, number '2' next to their second preference etc.
9. Votes are tallied, and the winning candidate must secure either an absolute majority (50%+1) of the primary vote or an absolute majority after the distribution of preferences.
Leaders Timeline (pdf 82 KB)
Letter to parents (pdf 59 KB)
Leader application form (pdf 70 KB)